Old New York. "The Bouwery."
New York: D.T. Valentine, 1868.
Map. Original engraving. Measures 16 3/8" x 20 3/4"
Fascinating map of the Bowery showing the historic street grid, overlaid with the modern grid as laid out by the Commissioner's Plan of 1811. The modern street plan, in red overprint, extends from Third Avenue and Bowery Lane to Avenue A, and from Sixth Street to Sixteenth Street. Previously the Stuyvesant Farm, the historic street plan includes Judith, Eliza, Margaret, and Cornelia Streets from north to south - named for Petrus Stuyvesant's four daughters. Existing structures and landmarks are also indicated, including St. Mark's Church, Bowery Village School House, Historical Society, and the residences of Nicolas Stuyvesant and Peter G. Stuyvesant. Today, only part of Stuyvesant Street between Second and Third Avenues remains, serving as the only remnant of the former family estate. The map was engraved by George Hayward in 1868, after a map presented to the N.Y. Historical Society by Benjamin Robert Winthrop in 1862. In good condition, with toning and wear along original fold lines. Lined with archival Japanese tissue.
The "Manuals of the Corporation" were directories of extensive historical and contemporary records of New York that included facts about the City of New York, city history, city council information, and reported on the progress of public works such as Central Park. First compiled by D.T. Valentine and popularly called Valentine's Manuals, the texts were richly illustrated with maps, lithographs, and engravings. These books include detailed information on the meetings of the Aldermen Council, ordinances passed, public officials, the city's debts, directories of hospitals, alms houses and schools, ferry schedules, lists of public porters, demographics and census information, and descriptions of historic buildings and streets. Much of the information was gleaned from Dutch and English sources, as processed by Valentine. By this date in the publishing of the manuals - the first was released in 1841 and the last in 1870 - the volumes had become extremely lavish, filled with illustrated and full-color folding maps. It is an excellent source of early New York City history.
D.T. Valentine (1801-1869) served as the Deputy to the Clerk of the Common Council for thirty-seven years and took it upon himself to compile the "Manuals", which he updated and published annually from 1841-1866. Joseph Shannon succeeded Valentine as Clerk and published the manuals for 1868 and 1869. The final edition of the manual was published by John Hardy. It is an excellent source of early New York City history. Binding: Unbound
Language: English
Price: $350.00
Item #328282