Map. Lavishly hand-colored engraving. 19" x 23" Trimmed to neatline and mounted on heavy paper.
Classic map of the country in the mid 18th century. At this point, Hungary is no longer under Ottoman Rule and is securely part of the Habsburg Empire. The title of the map translates to "The Kingdom of Hungary and the Countries that once depended on it," referring to the surrounding countries and regions of Transylvania, Sclavonia, Croatia, and others that once belonged to Royal Hungary. The Amsterdam publishing firm of Covens and Mortier (1665-c. 1862) was established by Cornelius Mortier and Jean Covens. Together, the two republished the works of great 17th and early 18th century Dutch and French cartographers such as De L'Isle, Allard, Jansson, De Wit, and Ottens. The firm quickly grew into one of the largest and most prolific Dutch publishing outfits of the 18th century and enjoyed a long and prolific life under a variety of names.