New York: 1858.
Broadside. Page measures 10 7/8" x 8 1/4".
This early broadside advertising the sale of dwelling houses in 5th avenue across from the Croton Reservoir. Features an engraved view by Alexander Anderson of the houses designed by Alexander J. Davis, architect and erected by George Higgins, Esq. Below the illustration, text describes the block on 5th avenue and 42nd street, Murray Hill, containing 'eleven independent dwellings' which have from 12 to 18 rooms each. The view from the window, it describes, is "unrivalled, commanding the whole island and its surroundings: the Hudson, and East Rivers, Staten Island, the Palisades, and far into Westchester country, and over Long Island". The Croton Reservoir, established in 1842 was once New York City's foremost water source. It was torn down in the 1890s. The broadside is in good condition with minor wear along the fold. Minor stains near left and right edges near center. Top left corner includes an embossed symbol of a steamship with the letters "P&S".
Illustrator: Alexander Anderson