New York: Sarony, Major & Knapp, 1861.
Lithograph. 6" x 8 1/4".
This lithograph, made for D.T. Valentine's "Manual of the Common Council of the City of New York" from 1861, depicts the Bible-House, the Cooper Institute (now more commonly known as Cooper Union), and Tompkins Market, as they appeared in the mid-19th century. At the intersection of two streets, horses pulling carriages and trolleys constitute a very different type of traffic than visitors to the area today would encounter. Cooper Union was founded in 1859 by entrepreneur Peter Cooper. The print has some offsetting and wear to original fold. Dampstaining along bottom margin not affecting the image.D.T. Valentine (1801-1869) served as the Deputy to the Clerk of the Common Council for thirty-seven years and took it upon himself to compile the "Manuals," which he updated and published annually from 1841-1866. These manuals were directories of extensive historical and contemporary records of New York, richly illustrated with maps, lithographs, and engravings.