New York: Major & Knapp, 1864.
Hand-colored lithograph. Image measures 6" x 10".
This color lithograph, made for D.T. Valentine's "Manual of the Common Council of the City of New York" from 1864, depicts the Fulton Ferry building in Brooklyn shortly after its completion. A busy crowd of travelers and horse-drawn carriages lines up at the entrance the station, the visual rhythm of legs and wheels vying with the building's heavily-windowed facade for attention. Hand-coloring enlivens the scene by drawing out brightly-dressed women and coachmen and giving the American flag atop the building the appearance of waving in the coastal breeze.
The print has some overall wear, particularly at folds and margins.
D.T. Valentine (1801-1869) served as the Deputy to the Clerk of the Common Council for thirty-seven years and took it upon himself to compile the "Manuals," which he updated and published annually from 1841-1866. These manuals were directories of extensive historical and contemporary records of New York, richly illustrated with maps, lithographs, and engravings.