London: Baldwin & Cradock, 1844.
Map. Engraving with hand outline coloring. Image measures 11.5 x 14.5".
This detailed plan of Warsaw provides insight into the city's history. The map itself depicts the city around 1831, rendering in exacting detail the shapes of buildings and curves of streets that make up its structure. Within this rendering, a dashed line highlighted in yellow points out the boundary of the city in 1762. This inclusion reveals the extent of growth which the city had undergone in the intervening years, now extending to the new outer fortifications highlighted in red. The little-developed Praga district is visible across the river, with a note that the district had burned in 1794 and 1831. Along the bottom of the map are elevations of 13 of the city's prominent landmarks. The map is in excellent condition with generous margins. Crisp and clear impression with very minor chips, not affecting the image. The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, or SDUK, was formed in 1826 and published low cost maps with the goal of reaching a large market while still maintaining high quality and precision.