Philadelphia: G.M. Hopkins & Co.
Map. Engraving with original hand coloring. Measures 17 1/2" x 27 3/8"".
This map of Jersey City centers on Grove Street, showing the railroad and surroundings streets. Map extends from 2nd St. at the northern edge, and from Jersey Avenue to Warren Street (east to west). Published in 1873, the map is an example of a real estate, plat, or ward map - which show detailed information regarding land division, property ownership, and public infrastructure. Streets are clearly labeled. Between the streets, plots of land are labeled by number, and include names of landowners. Significant landmarks, including City Hall, the police station, churches and schools are labeled and colored in green. Other labeled landmarks include steel works, a rink, an arcade, a chemical laboratory, a sawmill, a law court and market, a livery, and an engine house. The New Jersey Rail Road runs from north to south, intersecting with Grove St. at the site of the present-day PATH station. The Morris Canal flows in the southern portion of this map, separating the neighborhood of Paulus Hook from what has today been converted into marinas.
The map appeared in G.M. Hopkins & Co.'s "Combined Atlas of the State of New Jersey and the county of Hudson." It is in good overall condition. Image extends to the edges of the sheet on all sides. Minor tears and chips along outside edges. G.M. Hopkins & Co. was a Philadelphia-based publishing firm. Between 1870 and 1940, the company produced over 175 atlases and real estate plat maps of cities, counties, and townships in 18 different states and the District of Columbia. Today, their maps offer a detailed insight into the ways many cities have - and haven't - changed in the course of the last century.