Philadelphia: G.M. Hopkins & Co.
Map. Engraving with original hand coloring. Measures 17 1/2" x 27 3/8"".
This map of Jersey City centers on the area of Hamilton Square, showing the railroad and surroundings streets. Published in 1873, the map is an example of a real estate, plat, or ward map - which show detailed information regarding land division, property ownership, and public infrastructure. Map extends north to south from 10th St. to 2nd St., and east to west from Provost Street to Paterson St. (present-day Division St.) Includes parts of Newark Ave. Red hand coloring outlines the ward boundaries, showing wards 2 and 3. Streets are clearly labeled. Between the streets, plots of land are labeled by number, and include names of landowners. Significant landmarks such as churches and schools are labeled and colored in green. Other labeled landmarks include a bank, children's home, and two breweries, as well as Jersey City Gas Works, and various lots owned by United NJ RR & Canal Co. and Erie RR Co.
The map appeared in G.M. Hopkins & Co.'s "Combined Atlas of the State of New Jersey and the county of Hudson." It is in good overall condition. Image extends to the edges of the sheet on all sides. Minor chips and tears to outer margin. G.M. Hopkins & Co. was a Philadelphia-based publishing firm. Between 1870 and 1940, the company produced over 175 atlases and real estate plat maps of cities, counties, and townships in 18 different states and the District of Columbia. Today, their maps offer a detailed insight into the ways many cities have - and haven't - changed in the course of the last century.