London: C. Smith & Son, 1878. Map. Lithograph with hand coloring. Backed on linen. Image measures 20 x 29.5"
This folding street map of London was designed for travelers in the city who ended to find their way around. It covers the area between Paddington Cemetery, Parsons Green, Hackney Marsh, and Deptford and Hatcham. Within these boundaries is a wealth of detail describing the city's streets, landmarks, parks, rail lines, and waterways. Orange highlights the main roads, while red is used for rail terminals, green for parks, and yellow for cemeteries. Blue designates the Highbury district as well as the Thames, which snakes along the lower portion of the map. Rulers around the borders of the map divide the region into quarter mile squares that allow for the measuring of distances with the cloth folding tape ruler attached to the accompanying boards.The map is attached to these original boards, the cover bearing the title Indicator Map of London and Visitors Guide. The guide is included in a booklet that accompanies the map and decodes the indicative numbers and letters. The map has overall discoloration but is in otherwise excellent condition. Charles Smith (1768-1854) was 19th century British publisher of maps, atlases, and charts, mostly of his native England and London. Smith was appointed mapseller to the Prince of Wales in 1809. In 1826, he began working with his son, who continued to publish maps and introduced the style of tape indicator map demonstrated here. This map of London is a lovely example of his work.