1 page on vellum, 13 x 22.75 inches, Philadelphia, March 2, 1740 -- an indenture for a sale involving a tract of land whereby the Shippen family disposes property at the time when they were consolidating their holdings in the early days of the founding of Shippenburg, Pennsylvania. Boldly signed by Edward Shippen (1703 - 1781), one of the founders of the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University), of which he was a member of the first Board of Trustees. He was also a subscriber to the Philadelphia Academy (University of Pennsylvania) and a founder of the Pennsylvania Hospital and the American Philosophical Society. Also signed by William Shippen (1712 - 1801), a physician who represented Pennsylvania in the Continental Congress in 1778. In 1749 he co-founded with Benjamin Franklin the Public Academy, which evolved into the University of Pennsylvania. Browning along the folds; uniformly toned throughout with wax and paper seals still attached. Very good(+) condition.
William Shippen's son (of the same name) married Alice Lee of the Lee Family of Virginia. Their daughter Nancy Shippen married Henry Livingston, the son of Robert Livingston. Peggy Shippen, granddaughter of William, married Benedict Arnold in 1779.