This drawing depicts the Apthorp Mansion, an enormous estate built by British Loyalist Charles Ward Apthorp in 1764. Located, as described by an annotation on the back, on 91st St near 9th Ave--now 90th and 91st Street and Columbus Avenue--the mansion was among the largest in the peaceful, rural area of Manhattan known at the time as Bloomingdale. But the peaceful life of "Elmwood," as the house was called, did not last long, and the house quickly entered into a long string of historical turmoil. It served as a British headquarters during the Revolution, and Apthorp was tried for high treason as a result. After his death, the mansion and its enormous property were at the center of a battle between his heirs and other local families. Eventually, the residence became part of a picnic ground called Elm Park, the site of 1870 Irish Catholic labor protests known as the Orangeman Riots. Despite all this history, the mansion was demolished in 1891 to clear space for the extension of 91st St. The drawing is in very good condition and was likely made in the late 19th century, given the less manicured state of the home's surrounding landscape. Comes with an archival frame with wood finish.