Boston: Pendleton's Lithography. Lithograph. Image measures 20 1/2 x 29 1/2"
This rare, separate-issue print depicts the late John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church, presiding over his preachers in the City Road Chapel, otherwise known at Wesley Chapel. Wesley commissioned the chapel to be built in 1776 as his base in London. In this large and extremely detailed image, each of the 446 preachers is rendered individually--some stare out from the page, while others appear to be watching Wesley, who stands above them in the pulpit, in rapture. This image celebrates the Second Great Awakening, a period of renewed religious fervor in the United States. Some wear, abrasions, and chips, with a scuff on the pillar. Pendleton's Lithography (1825-1836) was a lithographic print studio in 19th-century Boston, Massachusetts, known for their complicated, intricate imagery.